We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
This delicious, creamy carrot cake smoothie tastes more like a decadent dessert than a healthy breakfast and is the perfect way to start your day!
If you have a few minutes to spare in the morning, this is the recipe for you.
It’s quick and easy but packed with all the flavors of carrot cake.
It can be made in under five minutes using store-bought ingredients making it the perfect breakfast.
The recipe is simple, but it can be changed to fit your needs. Skip to the bottom of the post for substitution ideas.
- For best results, use coconut milk that does not contain guar gum to make the whipped cream.
- Using frozen fruit is not essential but it helps to create a cold thick smoothie. If you freeze the carrots and celery as well you will be able to avoid using ice.
- Make sure you peel the bananas before freezing! The best way to freeze the slices is flat on a baking tray and then transfer them to a freezer safe bag or container when they are frozen.
- Older blenders may not blend ice well, if you find this start on a low setting first and then gradually build to a higher setting for a more even blend
- You can prep this smoothie ahead of time by peeling, chopping, and freezing the carrots. Chop and freeze your banana and celery also.
- Leave out the maple syrup and this light breakfast can be used as a meal replacement as part of a healthy lifestyle
Ingredient Substitutions And Additions
- If you like a very sweet smoothie add in natural sweeteners such as a pitted Medjool date to satisfy your taste buds.
- For a boost of protein add dairy free yogurt, or use a vanilla protein powder to turn this into a protein shake
- To add more healthy fats add in nut butters such as almond butter
- If you don’t like coconut milk you can substitute this for any non-dairy milk. Oat milk and vanilla almond milk work well as their taste is quite mild.
- Consider garnishing with fresh ginger, coconut flakes, or chia seeds instead.
- A handful of spinach leaves are a great addition to increase the nutrient profile of this smoothie. You won’t taste them with the strong carrot cake smoothie taste, but they may turn the colour a little brown
Carrot Cake Smoothie Recipe Topped With Coconut Whipped Cream
- Mixing bowl
- High Speed Blender or Food Processor
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 Can Coconut Milk (Chilled)
- 1-2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (Optional)
- 1 Tsp Orange Zest (Optional)
- 1 Can Coconut Milk (Use the remainder from the whipped cream)
- 1 Large Banana (Cut into slices and frozen)
- 1 Large stalks Celery (Roughly chopped)
- 1 Large Orange (Peeled)
- 4 Large Raw Carrots (Roughly chopped)
- 3/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Allspice
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 4-6 Ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon
- Finely Chopped Walnuts
To Make The Whipped Cream
- Chill the coconut milk in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. To prepare, remove the can from the refrigerator without shaking or turning and remove the lid. Scoop out the solidified “cream” from the top of the can and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Reserve the remaining liquid coconut milk to use in the smoothie.
- Add the maple syrup and orange zest, if desired, to the mixing bowl and blend until light and airy. Allow the coconut cream to warm up slightly before blending if lumps persist. Cover over and place the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make The Smoothie
- Add the coconut milk and frozen banana slices to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. This should take around 30 seconds.
- Add the celery, orange, carrots, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice cubes and blend at high speed until completely combined and creamy. This should take approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon or finely chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve your healthy carrot cake smoothie immediately. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this new smoothie recipe and that it helps you to stay energized through the day! If you liked my blog post, please share it with your friends. Thanks for reading—I really appreciate it 🙂 Let me know in the comments how your smoothie was.