When it comes to soothing your baby, picking the right pacifier can offer the difference between broken, restless sleep, and the entire family snoozing the night away in soothing contentment.
Breastfed babies, in particular, can find themselves soothed by the sensation of a pacifier – these tools can also play a crucial role in helping babies to latch and feed, by getting them used to the position and movements they need to use to stimulate and receive milk.
Picking the perfect pacifier is far from a simple task: with a newborn relying on you, most parents do not have time to trail the shops looking for the ideal option, and a single internet search results in thousands of hits, each of which claims to be the ideal solution.
It is easy to feel a little overwhelmed by the huge array of choices – how do you know which would be the best fit for your baby?
Fortunately, we have the answer to your woes: our team has taken care of all the hard work, hours of research, and endless comparisons, and put together a selection of the very best pacifiers for breastfed babies.
Below, you have the creme de la creme: the ultimate options to soothe your little one and ensure that your baby remains content and happy.
Need more guidance?
Check out the ultimate buyers guide to help you make a fast, smart, and informed choice.
Our Best Pacifier For Breastfed Baby Reviews
Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier
The Philips Avent Soothie pacifier is a common sight for many new parents, and its familiarity is a testament to its gold-star standards.
Designed primarily for newborns, this is a pacifier that is designed to emulate the look, feel, and sensation of a nipple, and so is ideal for breastfed baby’s.
Getting your baby used to feeding can be a challenge, and the right pacifier can help your baby get used to the muscles, movements, and tongue positions that they need to latch on and start breastfeeding, keeping them fed and nourished, while reducing stress for new mothers.
Over time, they will grow in strength and confidence, and the pacifier can be a great tool to use alongside breastfeeding.
As an added bonus, the Phillips is the brand typically offered by medical experts in hospitals across the nation, and this helps to reassure you that you have the stamp of approval from the highest sources.
- Quality material – this pacifier is made of hospital-grade, BPA free and latex-free silicone for total peace of mind, durability, and safety.
- Unique design – is perfect for the development of teeth and gums
- Dishwasher safe – convenient in a busy newborn household
- Get breastfeeding off to a positive start for both mother and baby
- Small size – may be too small for the mouths of very small babies.
Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Pacifier
The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature pacifier is ideal if you are looking for realism and authenticity, as it offers the look, feel, and sensation of a real nipple.
This is ideal for soothing your baby without you needing to be present, making it perfect if your little one is being taken care of by a babysitter, or someone other than the primary carers.
The natural shape and design also mean that your baby is far more likely to accept and be soothed by the pacifier, as it replicates the nipple in almost every way.
The shape has also been designed to support and enhance oral development; the design is perfectly balanced, making it easy for babies to hold in their mouth comfortably, and support the development of healthy teeth and gums as your little one grows.
Overall, this is an ideal option for offering your baby the utmost comfort and helping them to regulate and develop their ability to self-soothe.
- Natural shape – designed to emulate the feel of a real human nipple, making it more likely for your baby to accept it and be soothed.
- Comfortable to use – your baby can hold the pacifier easily in their mouth with minimal discomfort.
- No harmful substances – the pacifier is free from parabens, BPA, phthalate, and PVC, ensuring it is safe for your baby.
- Supports breastfeeding – by helping your baby learn to latch easily. It also makes it easier for your baby to transfer to a bottle if desired.
- Quite expensive compared to other options
Itzy Ritzy Sweetie Soother Pacifier
Instantly recognizable thanks to a distinctive design, the Itzy Ritzy Sweetie Soother pacifiers do more than look great; they are also easy and comfortable for your baby to hold in their mouth, and can be a great way to help a reluctant baby get used to the motions and feelings, required to latch, encouraging them to feed.
Difficulty with latching is often reported by new mma’s as one of the trickiest things to achieve with breastfeeding and can put many new parents off continuing if things don’t quite click in the early stages.
By offering your baby an alternative, you increase the chances of successful latching, and a successful breastfeeding journey moving forward.
This feature makes the Itzy Ritzy a perfect choice for premature babies, for whom a latch can be particularly tricky.
Another benefit of the pacifier is that it is constructed from a single piece of silicone, making cleaning easier and faster.
It also reduces any concerns about choking; there are no separate parts to break off or become detached, offering you greater peace of mind and reassurance.
- Single-piece construction – alleviates choking concerns, as well as making it easier to clean and sterilize your pacifier between uses.
- Stylish designs – helps the Itzy Ritzy to stand out from the crowd, and turns the pacifier from functional to fashionable.
- Includes an air vent for added breathability and comfort.
- Soft and durable – suitable for babies from birth, and can remain suitable even after teeth start to come in.
- Safe silicone material reduces the risk of allergens or reactions.
- Strong, toxic smell may be unpleasant to some babies and parents.
MAM Pacifier Breastfed Collection
MAM has a solid reputation in the world of baby items and goods, and it is easy to see why with this quality pacifier from the Breastfed collection.
As the name suggests, this is a pacifier designed specifically to support and encourage breastfeeding, and can be a great first step if you are struggling to get started.
Pacifiers from the MAM Breastfed Collection are suitable for babies from birth, up to around six months, and have the advantage of being designed with your babies orthodontic needs in mind – they are symmetrical in shape, and this makes them perfect for supporting healthy jaw and teeth development, and they can be used as your baby grows and changes.
As an added bonus, these pacifiers are perfectly balanced, with the top and bottom shaped in the same way – this means that it doesn’t matter which way around you put the pacifier, your baby will be comfortable and soothed.
When you are balancing everyday life with a busy newborn, this can be a lifesaver; you can ensure that your baby is calm and relaxed in no time, without worrying about inserting their soother in the wrong way.
- Quality material – these pacifiers are free from parabens, BPA, phthalate, and PVC, for added peace of mind.
Great for newborns – you can rest assured that your baby is comforted from the day they are born, right up to six months.
- Breastfeeding aid – if you are having issues with latching or establishing breastfeeding, these pacifiers can be a perfect way to get your baby used to the feeling and teach them what they need to do.
- Established brand – by purchasing from MAM, you know that you are purchasing a quality product from an established, respected, and trusted brand, with a strong background in baby goods.
- Single size could be an issue – if your baby grows quickly, or is bigger or smaller than average, you may find that they outgrow their pacifier more rapidly.
Tommee Tippee Ultra Light Silicone Pacifier
Smaller babies cannot always handle the heavier weight that comes with some pacifiers, and for those little ones, the Tommee Tippee Ultra Light Silicone pacifier is a perfect choice.
Constructed from lightweight silicone, the balance is perfectly designed to ensure that your baby is comfortable and calm.
Unlike many other pacifiers, the design of the Ultra Light option means that it can stay in your baby’s mouth for longer, and this reduces the need to replace it every few minutes.
Not only does this save you time and effort, but it also reduces the chances that your baby will be woken up by you making adjustments, improving the quality of your baby’s sleep, as well as your own peace of mind.
As well as being ultra-light, the Tommee Tippee pacifier is also extremely soft, and this adds an extra layer of comfort, as well as being kind on your baby’s skin.
There is a soft, curved shield, which allows for extra airflow, easier breathing, and a reduction of moisture build-up – this can result in skin irritation.
Overall, each of the components of the pacifier comes together to create the best possible experience for your baby and offer a soothing and comforting experience that can work in harmony with breastfeeding.
- Dust-free and easy to clean – the design is anti-static, and this prevents dust from settling on the pacifier, keeping your baby clean and healthy. The pacifier can also be washed in the dishwasher for added peace of mind.
- Orthodontic design – the teat is symmetrical, and this supports the healthy development of teeth and gums as your baby grows
- Super light – the reduced weight of the pacifier means that it is comfortable for smaller babies, including those who may have been born prematurely. This also means that your baby can hold the pacifier in comfort for longer.
- Kind to the skin – every aspect of the design is comfortable and soothing for your baby’s skin, and will reduce irritation as much as possible.
- Small holes designed to allow airflow may be a magnet for small fingers, so close supervision is required.
Now that we have taken a look at the top options, how do you figure out the best pacifier for your baby?
The exact answer to this will depend on a large variety of factors, and we explore these below to help you make the right choice for your baby.
Age Of Your Baby
One of the most important considerations when choosing your pacifier is the age of your baby.
This will determine the size of the pacifier you opt for, as they tend to come categorized for a range of age groups, depending on their size.
As a rule, babies between birth and six months will fit a small pacifier, between six and eighteen months a medium pacifier will be suitable, and babies over the age of eighteen months can be given a large size.
Remember that a pacifier that is too large could present a choking hazard, while one that is too small may not be sufficient to calm and soothe your baby.
You should also pay close attention to the materials that different pacifiers are made from.
Silicone is typically the most common option, and this is largely thanks to the longevity and durability of the material, as well as the ease with which they can be kept clean and hygienic.
Silicone pacifiers can be cleaned in the dishwasher, helping to alleviate any concerns you may have about germs and cleanliness, and will not lose their shape, warp, or lose their texture, even when exposed to boiled water – this means that they can be sterilized time and again with minimal concerns.
Latex or rubber are also popular materials for pacifiers, and both offer a very soft and realistic sensation, which can be soothing for your baby.
On the downside, rubber and latex pacifiers tend to wear out more quickly than their silicone counterparts – and this is a direct result of that super-soft feeling.
Most are also not suitable for dishwashers, and there are concerns about potential allergies, particularly with regards to latex.
Wherever possible, it is usually a good idea to invest in high-quality silicone; this is comfortable, soft, and easy to clean, and will last for a longer period of time, even after being subjected to sterilization and cleaning practices.
Choosing The Right Brand
When it comes to choosing a pacifier, the brand you opt for can make a significant difference.
You want to ensure that your baby is in safe hands, and so selecting a trusted and traditional name can offer you extra peace of mind and reassurance.
The best-rated brands will have a history of meeting all industry standards and regulatory requirements, and this means that you can guarantee that the safety of your child is being placed as a number one priority.
The recommendations we have included in this guide all tick this box, with names such as Tommee Tippee, Itzy Ritzy, and MAM all featuring heavily.
Excellent hygiene is a key priority when dealing with babies, and this should play a large part in your choice of pacifier.
To help make your life easier, opt for something that can be washed in the dishwasher – not only does this guarantee that the pacifier has been thoroughly washed and sterilized, but it helps to cut another chore out of your day – and with a newborn or even an older baby, those seconds can add up to valuable time saved!
There are four main shapes to choose from when selecting your pacifier: flat, straight, orthodontic, and bulb.
According to experts, a straight bulb offers your baby the closest experience to that of breastfeeding, as it keeps the tongue in the correct position.
A bulb shape can also be a good option to help emulate breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Age Is Best To Start Using A Pacifier With A Breastfed Baby?
Most experts recommend establishing breastfeeding before introducing a pacifier, as introducing a pacifier too early can make it harder for your baby to latch, and may make breastfeeding painful.
What Size Pacifier Is Best For My Newborn?
Pacifiers will come in three sizes: small, medium, and large, and a newborn will need a smaller size. This allows them to build up and develop their sucking skills, and you can gradually increase the size as your baby grows.
How Many Pacifiers Will My Baby Need?
You need to ensure that you are cleaning and sanitizing your baby’s pacifier regularly, and so it is a good idea to have between two and four to hand at any given time – this means you always have one available while the others are being washed.
Which Material Should I Choose?
As a rule, try to pick silicone for your newborn’s pacifier; not only is this the softest and most comfortable option, but it is also very easy to clean and sanitize, helping to keep your baby safe and healthy with minimal effort.